Friday 27 July 2012

231

    Once my eyes had adjusted to
The unadulterated light by which
They had suddenly been struck,
I was able to distinguish rows of
Halogen bulbs hung in the space
    Above my head, all encased in
Sheaths of thin metal, arranged
In series. I found myself in a
Room of some size, devoid of any
Furnishings other than the lights
Overhead. The walls were identical
Edifices covered in a white paint
That had decayed and fallen away
    In many places, revealing dark
And indeterminate openings that
Were like wounds in the side of
A gigantic and indifferent animal.
The floor was tiled, also in white,
And at some distance from me lay
   An area laced with fine cracks
As if a heavy object had fallen there.
The room was entirely silent, and
As I moved closer to the nearest
Wall my footfalls did not sound.
I came upon a door that appeared
   To have rusted into a recess in
The crumbling paintwork. When I
Tried the handle it gave on an
Obscure space. As I strained to see
Through it, I felt myself waking.

No comments: