Friday 13 July 2012

222

            As each attribute took its place
The object would seem to grow
Almost imperceptibly and at once
            To recede from me, as if by
Regaining the features of quotidian
Reality the bold structural lines
            Of its first raw form had lost
Some of their transcendent power.
            These lines of force no longer
Extended beyond the boundaries of
            The objects which they served :
As the characteristics of the room
            Took place, this naïve energy
Of self-construction shrank back
And became hidden behind the
            Tangible facade of the room's
            Outer surface. For the fleeting
Moment in which this schematic
View of my childhood was visible
            I felt as if I had gained access
            To a staging area of reality :
That this unmediated power
            Must lie behind all mundane
Experience, that somehow memory
Lived in every present moment of
            My life, willing each scene into
            Existence. I felt that perhaps I
Had never directly felt any of the
Sensations of my childhood, that
            They too had been constructed,
Passed down out of a senseless void :
That the present was perhaps only
            A prodigy of my living thought.

No comments: