Friday 20 July 2012

228

Light flooded from the punctures in
The barrier, a mass that seemed at
First made of particles conjoined as
In a nucleus : as the mass fed itself
Into the darkness it spread slowly
    As into a solution, and what had
Been a stream began to dissipate
In fragments that careened outward
In every direction, as if of their own
Volition. Each sending out a solitary
Light into a vacant quarter of the
    Void : like luminous creatures
Crossing distant fathoms of an abyss,
Trailing insectile tendrils, giving
Off sparks of antenna or mandible,
Haloed in the aspects of their light.
I thought that perhaps they were
    Only pilot-lights of some greater
Structure to come, that their fragile
Movements into vacancy would bear
New forms out into the darkness.
For a time I did not know whether
    The lights lay beyond me or if they
Only played across the inner surface
Of my closed eyes : no sound
Of a carriage or engine reached me
Where I had gone. Somewhere ahead,
The trembling sound of a mandolin.

No comments: