Monday 20 January 2014

389

389

DUKE ELLINGTON : Warm Valley

You held us in your venerable hand :
Mein Herz zog, mein lieber Herzog.

You left a glass of water in the door,
And when they opened it would spill,

And the droplets of the water would
From articulations of your hand fall,

And your generations from the grand
Pour and pour and pour and pour.

The boat turned south
Where the rivers met,

And mosses hung like straggled cloud
From the liveoak and cypress trees.

I drank rum in the morning and went
Into the water to retrieve a suitcase

Sodden with rivergreen, full of slacks,
Shirts and socks and books in Greek.

I ran my finger along the buckling
Lines, paragraph to paragraph, over

The damp wrinkles and bleared type,
Fires that lay

Still burning under the mountains,
Under the altars of fine alabaster.

In the afternoon the wind shook leaves
Down over my sleep. A plane went over

Trailing blue and yellow smoke.
I woke and found my glass in the door.

No comments: