Sunday 23 February 2014

397

MILES DAVIS : Footprints

Another fork came down from the high bank
And we were sure that a fire had started

Under the cliff. Mallow cloud drove in gusts
Over the ridge under the cliff where a fire

Had started, a yellow shroud wove in bursts
Out of the break of dry oaklimb, wafted

Its spinning expulse in frame of an image.
I was waiting for my father to come

And the sparks brote, forming his image.
Sparks, composite : cheekspark,

Eyebright, nostrilflare, earwhorl, burnt
Tongueslick, flimmering beardglut.

Spark spark spark blowing down
Out of darkness, blowing up in shaked lights.

Mallow robe I allow to fall
Holding my shoulders as a fighter his.

As the night expends itself, we carry the body
Up out of its shawl.

I hear his voice in the intermediate darkness,
Where I am a child and know no name

Than what he in rough utterances perform :
Stay when he bid stay, come when he bid come.

The pale of the earth is flooding up again.
I brush ashen soil from the cloth of my knees.

No comments: