Sunday 23 February 2014

396

396

JOHN COLTRANE : Mr. Day

My papers blew-w-w
f-f-from the balcony of the Regent.
I had been making a cocktail with rum
And ginger ale when one of the bellhops

Opened the door,
And a gust caught them up from
The table in front of the balcony
And they played white on the warm wind.

I ran after, spilling my mixture in gobs
Over the parquet before the railing.
The boy mouthed oh-oh-oh.
I made and he and I drinked. Blassom

Was in a bole near the sink and a shalky-white
Face of Paris pflaster had flowers in
On the console where they left the keys
In a wallet of vanilla-coloured paper.

I trode the balcony and leaned my arm
Out into the air.
There were planes crossing in far blue
And the shapes of churches like long bodies.

The morning came up in one opalescent swell.
I was feeling good with the drink,
And then the door closed behind my guest,
And then it was five o'glΓΌck in the afternoon.

I never got back any of the papers
So that my sour letters weren't sent
And the last of them there solder
To my body in sleep its jumbled word,

Meaning the bulb was gone,
And I had to get up on a ladder
From where I could see slow cars peeling
Onto the highway, flowing into the distance.

No comments: