Wednesday 25 September 2013

371

It occurred to him, gelegentlich, to found
A system, wherein the purer
Outlay of his intuition, all trace and circuit, by

A great draughtman'sboard'sworth of schematic
Would be held,
Where the lightframe might shudder slightly

And the thought consume, at each instant he stir,
Should he wished to impress
With force upon the world his will.

Harrow, he held himself down upon it blindly ;
The ur-world split ; his eyes
Opened and he reentered his devotion.

Hot damages! He rose, head of the clutchymen.
Too great a portion of wine
Was sanctified by me le soir, he thought sillily.

He thought : I have played this role in each
Of four previous lyrics.
I find myself adrift on artistry ; this is good will

To waking but no progress man may name.
I must about my work,
Should only the good author grant fairly me to it.

But he would not, and he found himself perform
The round again and over and further and on,
That no action wear upon him

Without the Kaisergeist address him firmly to it.
Blood lies in the hands of its
Author : no unsanctioned motion on the frame.

No comments: