Tuesday 1 June 2010

Ring o' Roses

There are monkeys with golden teeth.
A lion with a bloody mouth stalks
the garden, zebra roam the street.
Old men are being dragged into bins.
Clowns come driving tiny cars,
laughing, setting off all the alarms.
I wander the house, which has
become a giant music box.
Looking down, a pinball machine
has become lodged in my ribcage.
I have children in a nest
inside a grand piano, laying eggs
and eating their own eggs, and
turning into paper aeroplanes
that fly at my face, alight.
My doctor is in the basement
strangling my mother, he says
"I don't know if she'll make the night."
and folds into a deck of cards.
The trees outside break my windows
and force their way into the house.
My penis is now on fire
and trying to burrow into my stomach
to lay its tiny musical eggs.
Motorbikes of light come out of nowhere
and crash soundlessly into my front door
which I try to hold back
as the doorbell rings "Ode to Joy".
Flowers fall out of my mouth
and pour painfully from my ears
and nostrils. The floor falls away,
I fall in darkness, surrounded by
the buttercups and daisies of my mind.

I wake, in a fever.

No comments: