Wednesday 16 June 2010

Phantasmagoria

There is a burst blister on my toe,
weeping with bloodless skin
like the eye of a blind old man.
As it looks away from me,
I get the sense of vertigo
and it is now a gory crater.
Its edges whitely fall away
as the world is wincing
needles in the atmosphere,
the planet is a falling foot,
I am the bloody shoe

There is the smell of plasma
and a red waterfall
flowing backwards up in space
through a door of skin, that is
curtained with black and stars
backstage of the universe,
and I slowly walk through
into an abundant valley
with huge arterial trees,
flocks of miscarried cherubim,
clouds smeared with lipstick


I back away into the darkness,
running through some hospital
full of the wounded;
black horses, black pigs,

strapped in giant white beds.
I am handed a weapon,
a white-hot steel rapier.
A horse, foaming at the mouth,
shouts "This is the needle!
You are coming back to life,
be ready for the charge
"

I come to in insanity,
look for the blister,
and with a demonic laugh
pull my entire leg like Excalibur
out of a wound in my chest.
The cherubs rise around me,
there is the sound of drums
and the movement of great engines.
With a crack of thunder
a black horse vaults the moon.


No comments: