Monday 20 October 2008

Sleep deprived meditations on The Waste Land



Men are going to visit you while you sleep, and take photos of you twitching as you dream, and show the world that we're all blind. The world doesn't go away while you sleep, you become helpless - and you lie almost still at the world's mercy as much as a newborn baby is. You're just bones and muscle and gut and organs after all. Snowden's secret; man is matter. You think you are all alone with nothingness, but really you're just temporarily blind. Nightblindness drives you crazy, it's like drowning. You read, much of the night, and go South in the winter. I twitch and salivate like with myxymatosis.
Shine a light, shine a light on me. Trip down the steps so you put your head through the glass door-pane like your papa said you always would. The sun beligerent shines right down and pricks the back of the broken man walking east in the afternoon. I'm not your property, so don't get that look as you repeat yourself fastening the ceLLar d00r. You're all edges, boy. When are you going to get it together? Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear? Oh, it's pain, I'm all tiny spasms, a bag of nerves and cartilage, drowning on the beach.
I'm not listening to this again, darling, get your coat. Fuck me, kitten. Don't go so soon, shine a light, cos true love waits. Just don't leave me now can't stand me now heaven knows I'm going to spend my life at the airport but never take off miserable now. There's a little fire in the sewer's gonna eat this house start the tambourine snare kick hi-hat beehive hairdo, do you remember, the rain came over the Starnbergersee. Come in out of the cold, and read me like an open book. Reach out for me and I'll. Reach out for you. Think it over, baby think it over.
Phlebas and me, we've been having these thoughts about you for a while. No, don't go, I didn't want to scare you, it's just when I get like this it's hard to keep all the bad Naked Lunch stuff in. You have to go? Yahweh? Hah?! Goodnight, ladies, goodnight, sweet ladies, good night, good night.
The wicked witch satirical waxes lyrical, but esoterical and hysterical. Intern, me, your majesty can ride for free, most sweetlee. What did you do when you lost another, why did you bother? I had too much to drink, I didn't think, I didn't think of you, ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
I tear it down, I tear it down, I tear it down
Tension has a familiar feel, paranoid paralysis takes hold. This is how the world ends; every night I go to sleep and it all goes away and I'm blind, and when I awake for the first few seconds I'm free.

No comments: