Saturday 24 May 2014

422

422

DUKE ELLINGTON : Day Dream

It is after the third cup of tea, in the interval
Between the entry of four German girls
On a foreign exchange and the exit of one
Old gent in a mantle of pink suede, as
A momentary hush has fallen over the café,
That I realise I have wound myself up
In a situation from which there can be no
Extrication; that in a real sense events have
Conspired to overtake me. I stare mildly
Into the teacup, and I know that I am lost.

Nonetheless, I assure myself, the clatter
Of cutlery and crockery will resume within
The moment, and the movement of traffic
On the other side of the pane will resume
Within the moment; the whole arrangement
Will resume the clear chain of its sequential
Action, and when it does so, my thoughts
Will not be so maudlin and confused, and
Somehow it'll all make up. I'll root around
In my pocket and find money for the tip :

Oh yes, I think with a weak smile, wait only
One more moment and the tableau will
Recommence to move, and as I am accruing
Courage to gesture to the waitress, an angel
Will materialise beside me and lay a gentle
Hand upon my scapula, and he will instruct
My body to behave in its accustomed way,
And he will imbue my spirit with force, and
It will no longer shiver as a flickering seed
Spinning down into a depth of running water.

No comments: