Monday 23 December 2013

381

381

There was a light behind in the window
And candles on all the tables, last time
Jansen was here. It was after closing
And he played for half an hour just to me

And Rosalie and James. Wearing a tie,
A dickey, and black velvet waistcoat
That I had only seen him in at wakes.
December. He played “April in Paris”,

Blue in Green”, “In a Sentimental Mood”
And “Stella by Starlight”, and then he played
For a long time in a mode I didn't know,
An extemporisation, chords of which

Troubled me for hours after, no part
Of which I can clearly remember, but which
Made Rosalie cry a little, quietly,
As she moved back and forth behind the bar.

I remember though that it touched upon
A thought I had had just around that time
Of picking up and leaving town, of going
South into the light and the storms and heat,

Finding a quiet locale to blanch myself.
Something latin in it, like a song out
Of the Dia de Muertos. Death was there
Already, in his figure, in the gaze

He sent over the bar as he performed.
When he had done he sat there at the keys
For some time. I brought him a double scotch,
Which he took. It moved in his eyes. He rose

And kissed James and I, and kissed Rosalie
Tenderly on the hand, and straightening,
Adjusted his white shirt and his bowtie.
He went down in the street and found a car.

An hour later a gust of drizzling wind
Whipped the threshold and I shut the place up,
And drove Rosalie halfway back up the
Grand Reservoir to where her father lived.

No comments: