Thursday 22 December 2011

151

I was out in the yard
            And Dewey came in all
                        Dusty from the field and
He saw me but he went
            Indoors. I was cleaning
                        My workcoat on the wall.
Silas came out and he
            Spilled a pail from his
                        Doorway onto the flags.
The water weaved from
            It and guttered to the
                        Leeside wall of the shed.
It was getting dark
            And he looked up at me
                        His eyes bright and damp
From the houselight,
            His bucket slung underarm
                        Smoking a short cigarette.
I looked at him and we
            Walked over behind the
                        Shed and he handed me
One and lit it with a
            Pocketbook match and threw
                        It out in the moving grass.
I sheltered it with my
            Hands and smoked it and
                        He watched me smoke it and
Talked about his younger
            Brother tired and oldly and
                        Smoked, looking on the field.

No comments: