Sunday 30 May 2010

The Late Showing

In a dark movie theatre:
"I dreamt I was a dancer,
and the dream stayed with me,
prevented me from working
finally resulting in depression,
and my ultimate dismissal.
I turned to drink, and drank
in the lowest places pissing
the sum of my earnings away,
gambled away my car.
I met bums, disgusting winos
that told me of their dreams
in which they were dancers,
the most incredible dancers
the world had ever seen.
How the dream had come
to each of them in turn,
how they lived in the gutter
as brothers―"
                           at this moment
a monster made of knives and forks
tore through the silver screen
spilling razors and decapitating
most of the first and second rows.
It expanded to a colossal size,
filling the room with grating steel.
The musicians in the pit
tried to crawl into their instruments,
which were shredded instantly.
Several grossly fat women
began to eat their own legs,
but were pierced and burst.
A child with braces was snagged
and lifted from his seat
into the mass of whirling metal.
Those running to the exits
were blinded by a mist of blood
and stumbling, were devoured.
One man in the back row,
driven insane by the incidental music
of the massacre, drew a pistol,
aimed it at his temple,
bellowed "Halleluja!" and fired.
Only one escaped the carnage,
the rising flames, the blue stink
of molten metal, boiling blood.
Stumbling from the scene,
he felt a spotlight on his back
and began to dance.

No comments: